Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer 2011 #3 Stratford

OK, because I can't figure out how to move a misplaced picture, this photo of Shakespeare's grave is first. So there. Every time I see it, I can't believe I'm standing there.




After Warwick we went another half hour down the tracks to Stratford to see the Shakespeare sights. We passed this monument on the way to the birthplace and other such sights. I can tell you that this thing has a clock, a bunch of flowers, and some things on the top that look like microwave antennas. Actually, I suspect that is a really old market place center which medieval cities had. I suppose that that make it marginally more interesting than the Farmers' Market on the courthouse square Saturdays in Murray.



Statue to famous local citizen.



The Shakespeare birthplace. Preserved primarily because Will was pretty well known early on. The three photographers in front are my students.


Me in the same place. Proof that I was here.


The Avon River and the Royal Shakespeare Company Theatre in the background. Lots of famous actors have played there. It's a high honor.


Boating on the Avon. Eventually these four figured out that putting the oars in the water and moving them could be used to propel the boat.


Holy Trinity Church. Baptismal and burial place of Shakespeare. Really a beautiful and peaceful place beside the river. The tourists mostly walk down the busy commercial street that has the birthplace and then leave. Too bad. Me again.





The interior. Beautiful and ancient all by itself.

Near the altar and the graves.


The hammerbeam ceiling. Looking upward in a church or cathedral is almost always a really good idea.


The baptismal font. Little Shakespeare was baptised here. A copy of the records of the church show it. I stood there and tried to image a "baby" Shakespeare.


The famous bust of Shakespeare, put up not too long after his death.


Other family members got honored positions, too.







No comments:

Post a Comment