Sunday, July 19, 2009

Off to London and Around the Neighborhood





Here we are at the Nashville airport on July 9th, waitning to send me on my way. Could her smile mean that she is happy to have me out from underfoot for four and a half weeks? I give her maximum credit for making an heroic effor to maintain my landscape while I am looking at other people's flowers.

This one is pretty much for Jamie. It's the kitchen on my floor in Lord Cameron Hall at King's College Hampstead where we stay. There's a refectory where we are served some meals each week, but the students here during the regular year are on their own for food--self-catering it is called. (The building was a dump two years ago when Jamie and I were there, so this picture is nothing like the prior conditions.)
My class in "Myth, Legend, and Horror in British Literature." They are a very nice group, and I enjoy being with them. They are from schools in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, and Oregon.

Our favorite mode of transportation to get to the Finchley Road Tube Station (subway) which is how we usually head out to wherever we want to go in the city. It's also how we connect to the rail system to head out to all the other place we go.
Hampstead, once upon a time, was a village outside London. Now it is one of the four most sought after locations to live in the city, along with Mayfair, Belgravia, and Kensington which are all closer to central London. Lots of writers, actors, and the idle rich, etc. live around the area. Jaguars and Bentleys; Mercedes and BMWs are too common even to count. the houses sell for millions of pounds, sometimes tens of millions.

Everybody loves the signs they use for speed bumps.
Flowers, flowers everywhere. I love it. the climate makes everything so much better than I can do at home. Alas. I'll just enjoy.

Yes, they really do look like this, and they are everywhere.
















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment